Berkeley Endowment Management Company (BEMCO)
BEMCO was founded in 2009 to invest and oversee the UC Berkeley Foundation’s endowment assets. BEMCO is staffed by a small, collaborative team that invests approximately $2.2 billion globally across both public and private asset classes.
The Associate position offers the opportunity to work in support of one of the world’s premier universities with a mission-driven and passionate investment team. UC Berkeley’s endowment provides permanent capital support to the University in pursuit of access and excellence in higher education, a mission that is also embodied by BEMCO’s culture. This role is designed to enable Associates to have a direct and significant impact while exposing professionals to a wide range of world class investment strategies and market participants.
The Associate will be an integral member of the Investment Team and will contribute to the research and evaluation of current and prospective investments in all the asset classes in which BEMCO invests. Much of the day-to-day work will consist of analyzing fund-level investments, preparing and interpreting portfolio analytics, and working with the Investment Officers and CIO on investment due diligence and strategic portfolio construction. The Associate will participate in meetings with managers and will be expected to handle a wide range of projects across multiple asset classes, consistent with the generalist model. Associates will also be active participants in investment decision-making discussions. Travel should be expected.
The Associate position reports to the CIO and supports the whole investment team. The role is designed to be a two- to four-year program. The desired start timing is flexible but targeting middle of 2021.
- Portfolio-level and Fund-level Analysis
- Returns, attribution, and exposure analysis using systems such as Bloomberg, Caissa, and Microsoft Excel
- Monitoring of Fund Investments
- Help prepare for and participate in manager meetings and calls
- Help prepare broader strategy- and portfolio-level reviews with Investment Officers
- Evaluation of New Fund Investments
- Assist in both quantitative and qualitative analysis of prospective investments
- Work closely with Investment Officers on investment due diligence including onsite visits, analysis, and the preparation and presentation of investment recommendations
- Conduct deep dive analysis on underlying portfolio investments and potential co-invest opportunities
- Ad Hoc Projects – Capital markets data analysis and sector-specific research on an ad-hoc basis
- Strategic / thematic investment research
- Impeccable ethics
- One to five years of work experience
- A proactive and hard-working attitude with a passion to learn and a keen attention to detail
- Strong academic achievement. Bachelor’s degree with coursework relevant to investing, finance, and/or economics is preferred
- Superior analytical skills with advanced ability in Microsoft Excel. A quick learner of new systems. Knowledge of Bloomberg is helpful
- The ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines in a dynamic, flexible setting. Ability to work autonomously and collaboratively
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Desire to work for a fun, engaged, egalitarian and mission-driven team
To apply, please send a brief cover letter and resume to HR@berkeleyendowment.org. Please put “2021 Associate Hire – BEMCO” in the subject line of the email.
BEMCO is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer a dynamic, intellectually stimulating and diverse environment, competitive salaries, and comprehensive benefits.